W5AZN.COM Texas Maritime Museum
OUR QTH
   
 

 


 



Home QTH
Richardson, Dallas County, Texas, U.S.A.
Grid Square EM-12



Richardson is located at 32°57'56" North, 96°42'57" West (32.965628, -96.715707)


RICHARDSON, TEXAS, now part of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex was chartered in 1873, the town was named for railroad contractor E.H. Richardson. Originally, there were three businesses: a general store, a post office and a drug store. By 1910, residents had seen their first telephone and electric light.

After World War II, Richardson experienced a surge in population. By 1950, the City boasted a population of approximately 1,300. In 1951, Collins Radio opened an office in Richardson and Texas Instruments opened its manufacuturing facility just south of the Richardson border. The agricultural city of the past gave way to community shopping centers and homes.

In 1972, the population stood at approximately 56,000. Residential growth boomed through the 1970s. Forty percent of the homes in Richardson were built between 1970 and 1979. While housing development declined during the 1980s, the commercial development continued to increase. Today Richardson has a significant employment base of more than 80,000 workers. The 2000 Census counted the residential population of Richardson at 91,050.





Weekend QTH
Omaha, Morris County, Texas, U.S.A.
Grid Square EM-23





Glass Club Lake

Omaha is located at 33°10'54" North, 94°44'32" West (33.181646, -94.742246)


OMAHA, TEXAS is on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway and U.S. Highway 67 ten miles north of Daingerfield in north central Morris County. When the town was first laid out by Thompson Morris in 1880 it was called Morristown, but the post office department called it Gavett. In 1886 residents decided to change the name, and seven early settlers each put the name of his Alabama hometown in a hat. Omaha, the name selected, had been put forward by Hugh Ellis. Because of its central location and the railroad connection, the town grew quickly. By 1890 Omaha had three churches, a school, a weekly newspaper, and a population of 450. Throughout the twentieth century Omaha was the site of a vegetable-plant shipping operation that shipped millions of seedlings throughout the United States. The town was incorporated in 1914. In 1980 it had a population of 960 and twenty-three rated businesses. In 1988 Randolph E. (Randy) Moore, a native of Omaha who played in the Texas League qv and the National League in the 1920s and 1930s, was inducted into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame in Arlington. In 2000 the population of Omaha was 999.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Jean Connor, A Short History of Morris County (Daingerfield, Texas: Daingerfield Bicentennial Commission, 1975).