DOUBLE BAYOU BEACON
Location: Oak Island, Chambers County, Texas.
Mouth of Double Bayou, Trinity Bay, Galveston Bay.
Job Beason Park: 29 39 23 N 94 41 29 W
Viewing: This lighthouse no longer exists. Don't confuse the town of Double Bayou with the name of the stream. This lighthouse was near the present day community of Oak Island. There is a county park named after the keeper, Job Talbert Beason, in Oak Island. Approximately 9 miles south of Anahuac on FM-563 also called Eagle Rd. Eagle Road becomes Oyster St. in Oak Island.
Brief History: “A lighthouse, known as the Double Bayou Lights, was in operation there during the early 1900s. Job Talbert Beason served as a keeper of the lighthouse for several years. He drowned while on his way to the lighthouse in December 1909. His son A.L. Beason was serving as the keeper of the lighthouse in 1913. Newspaper accounts of the 1915 hurricane refer to ‘one of the Double Bayou lighthouses' being destroyed.” From Chambers County A Pictorial History, Margaret Henson and Kevin Ladd, p.207.
Job Talbert Beason, born February 24, 1845 in Westfield, Hamilton County, Indiana. A the time of the civil war the family was living in Marshall County Iowa. Beason enlisted in the Union Army on May 9, 1864; serving in Company G. 44 th Regiment Iowa Infantry. The family came to Chambers County in 1894 settling in Hankamer and later Oak Island. Beason drowned on December 20, 1909 and is buried in the Benjamin Barrow Cemetery near Anahuac
(29 48 30 N, 094 37 36 W).
Construction Type & Design: Unknown.
Height of Light Above Water: Unknown.
Light Type: Unknown.