BRAZOS SANTIAGO LIGHTHOUSE - "NEW"
Location: South Padre Island , Cameron County, Texas.
Viewing: You can see this building just right of the entrance to Isla Blanca Park.
Address is 2 Wallace L. Reed Rd., South Padre Island. No longer operational as a "lighthouse".
Brief History: Built 1924. The oldest building on South Padre Island at the southern tip.
Originally a Coast Guard Station and is now owned by The University of Texas at Brownsville - Texas Southmost College.
When nearby Brazos Santiago Lighthouse (Old) burned down in 1940, the light function was moved to the top of the
"Station Port Isabel" building in 1943.
From historic marker: "The Federal Government has operated a coastal installation at Point Isabel since 1852. This structure is the third permanent building erected here, one of a line of nine stations established along the Gulf of Mexico from Florida to the Texas-Mexico border. Originally consisting of a main floor, attic, and lookout tower, all elevated off the ground on wood and concrete pilings, the structure served as barracks and headquarters for the U.S. Coast Guard unit that patrolled the coastline and conducted sea rescues.".
Construction Type & Design: Former Coast Guard Station.
Light Type: 375mm Airport Type Beacon - No longer in service.